Monday, May 4, 2009

Under the Sea Terrarium


I kind of have a thing for Playmobil figures. They're just so darn cute and I love their little accessories. I found this merman and mermaid at Target a couple months back and bought them for myself - yep wouldn't even let the kids play with them. Why? Because I had a vision! An Under the Sea Terrarium. A small little glass encased world with mossy undersea hills and lush foliage. And finally this weekend I created it!


It's smaller than what I had originally envisioned but I couldn't find an apothecary jar that I liked that was larger than this one. Plus since I have tendencies to kill plants I thought I'd better start small and see if I could get it to survive before I went all out.


It was super simple. I just put some charcoal on the bottom, then layered in some soil and then placed in some fabulous moss and a small succulent-type plant from my very own backyard.


Paired on a shelf with my newly potted succulent from IKEA, it's my new favorite household accessory!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This makes me laugh (as do your other posts - so funny!). I do the same thing sometimes so I really relate - keep toys (or craft supplies) hidden away to keep them pristine for some future project.

Can't wait to see what you blog about next!